Monday, January 07, 2008

under the weather

I can't believe it's been MONTHS since my last post...OCTOBER???!!! What in the world happened to November and December?

Thinking back, those two months seem nothing more than a hazy memory. Especially November. I remember starting the month with work-packed days, and beyond that I can't really remember how it went. Usually, I live my life one day at a time, which suits me just fine. My work is notoriously unforgiving when it comes to time and schedules, and I've learned to be flexible when it comes to adjusting the scheds. Although I have entries on my planner and PDA, I don't strictly follow them...they are all tentative and subject to last minute changes.

So now, thinking back, I can't remember how I lived November. My memory of December is somewhat clearer, but still foggy nonetheless. I think I must have spent most of the days of November working, then doing some Christmas shopping on some free days, though I highly suspect I spent most of my free time sleeping. Come December, I was already meeting friends for Christmas parties, lunches and dinner as early as the first week. And I know I didn't lighten up my work load until the last week and a half of the year, so I probably was alternating between working and partying.

And now, on the first week of the new year, my body's screaming at me to slow it down a bit. It started with some sniffles, then my throat because itchy, then sore and I got the full blast of the microbes' attack on my duty last Thursday. I don't know how I made it through. I was wearing a mask because I was barking like a dog, I had congested sinuses, my body was aching all over and by the last quarter of my 24-hour shift, I was feeling eerily cold. I was feverish, groggy and on the verge of collapsing when I finally made it to my bed. I slept fitfully for about 24 hours, and when I regained consciousness, it was already Saturday.

So, I here I am, forced to shift to lower gears and take it slow. I'm still coughing and sniffling, but at least I'm no longer feverish and I no longer feel as if my throat's ripping up whenever I cough. I'm not due to go back to work until a week from now. I've caught up with my overdues (including sleep debt) and now have time to think. When I start over-thinking, I'll go back to getting busy again.

No comments: