Tuesday, August 26, 2008

exodus, part 2

It's never been a secret among my relatives and peers that I have my eyes trained to the greener pastures of developed countries. My mind's made up and at the moment, I am exhausting all avenues to be able fly out of the motherland and practice my craft in foreign lands. My reasons for this may be selfish, but unfortunately, my love for my family overrides my love for my country.

In a previous post on this blog, entitled Exodus, I have elaborated my reasons for this decision. Composed several years ago, Exodus still holds true for me. My sentiments then have not changed. Not a bit.

I am deeply saddened and outraged by the government's House Bill 4580. To say that I am surprised by the UP College of Medicine's move to require their graduates to serve the country for several years before being allowed to go abroad is an understatement. I am SHOCKED. HORRIFIED.

I am not an expert on human rights or related laws but there has to be a breach of this in the government's decision to pass this house bill. UP used to be a staunch protector of these rights and freedom. My alma mater has let me down by devising this return service mechanism.

I still do plan to return after a stint abroad. But my conviction in doing so is being rattled by these ridiculous attempts to keep doctors in the country. Pandora's box shutting close might just be enough turbulence to completely rid me of this conviction.

I end this entry by repeating a quote from Fr. Bienvenido Nebres, SJ:
"If you have a heart that cares for your native land, you will find a way to make a difference even if you are far away. And, perhaps, on the other hand, if you do not have a heart, you will not make a difference even if you stay."


This entry is a contribution to the Blog Rounds 17th ed., hosted by Bone MD.

No comments: