Wednesday, June 02, 2010

vet reflections

For as long as I can remember, I've always loved dogs. It has never mattered to me if the dog is pedigreed or not, nor am I particular about their personalities. I just love dogs.

I have gone through the vicious cycle many times: falling in love with the pup, adoring its positive qualities and learning to live with the negatives, comfortably co-existing with the adult dog, and the inevitable heartbreak of losing the aged dog. Time and again I've wondered why God chose to give us a bestfriend whose lifespan is at best one-fifth of ours. I still don't know the answer, and I probably never will, because often when the question begins to haunt me, a new pup will arrive and distract me from that question for the duration of its life.

Most of the time I love being the dog's human. Most of the time it's easy to be the dog's human: you just spend time together, feed and bathe the dog when needed, and in return, the dog gives you his/her undying love and loyalty. But before we reach this stage, the dog and I have to undergo the boot camp stage: potty training, establishing feeding time, instilling in the dog that he/she simply can't destroy plants in the garden and in the house, and basic obedience. This is not so hard for me now, having been a dog's human for almost 3 decades. For first timers though, it can be hell.

My friend Marose, a veterinarian, told me of her blog that gives tips to pet owners. Today I checked out her blog, and it's wonderful! It gives information but not too much information. It deals with practical solutions for the mundane problems that can lead to hair-pulling situations. The blog is a treat even for veteran dog humans like me, so it will surely be helpful for the newbie dog humans. If you'd like to check it out, click on the link at the right portion of this blog or enter this url in your browser: http://vetreflections.blogspot.com/

Understand though, that this blog does not substitute for an actual consultation with a vet. Most of the information given here are for the pet's health promotion and practical tips for easier co-existence among humans and pets. Any medical problem should still warrant a visit to the vet. If you'd like to visit Doc Marose, her contact details are on her blog.

No comments: